Since ice hockey requires two skill sets, the Morris County Youth Hockey League Skating Skill Development and Instructional Hockey Clinic stresses basic skating skill development (starting, stopping, turning, backward skating, crossovers) in the first half of our season, then moves into hockey skill development (passing, team play, shooting, rules) in the second half. When the coaches feel the players are ready, we play controlled scrimmages with the coaches on-ice to stop play for learning opportunities. The keys to our program are skill development with positive reinforced coaching as a group and an individual basis, and an emphasis on having fun.
This program is geared towards skaters who have completed at least one 'Learn to Skate' class who want to learn ice hockey, and for the 1st and 2nd year players who are playing on a town or travel team looking to get extra ice time and skill development. It is a great way to continue to improve your players skating skill development, and teach / promote individual hockey skills and team play.
We have three age groups; 5-6 year old, 7-8 and 9-13. Season Schedule: Every Saturday morning at Mennen. First Session is November 6, 2021 and ending February 26th, 2022 with no session 12/25 and 1/1. Session times are 8:15AM, 9:00AM and 10:00AM. We try to limit each group to 32-36 players to ensure a good coach-to-player ratio (1:6). Session assignments are made on composite registrants DOB and cannot be requested.
Our goal is to make the introduction to ice hockey FUN, DEVELOPMENTAL and AFFORDABLE.
- Skating and hockey instruction.
- You will have the same time and session every Saturday morning.
- Practice games are played using House League format. Ages are matched. Practice games start in January.
- As an organization of volunteers, we need to leverage email and our website for program communications. Registration will be “ON-LINE ONLY - Although we play in Mennen Arena, the MCYHL is a separate, not-for-profit organization apart from the staff that operates Mennen Arena. CANCELLATIONS DUE TO WEATHER WILL BE POSTED ON OUR WEBSITE ... www.mcyhl.net ... Please do not call Mennen Arena.
- All players are provided a team jersey.
- All players must be registered with USA Hockey for the current season.
- Players must be at least 5 Years Old to register and possess basic skating skills. Players should have at least completed a learn to skate program or equivalent.
- You must have full hockey equipment by the first instruction session. Helmets with face mask, elbow pads, shoulder pads, pants, shin guards, gloves, hockey stick and skates required.
- You should try to be at all practices and games.
- Fee of $275. No refunds -- we simply do not have the administrative staff support and rather spend our time "on-the-ice instructing".
- REGISTRATION IS LIMITED on-line registration should be completed promptly. Be sure of your interest. Once your on-line registration is confirmed via e-mail, your players spot is reserved and no refunds will be provided.
- Participation is on "First Received, First Taken" basis and enrollment may be limited due to ice availability.
- Preference will be given based on the following order:
- Morris County residents.
- Those registered last season.
- E-mail questions to email@example.com. Please be respectful of the administrative staff at Mennen Arena. They simply provide us with affordable and convenient ice times. They do not administer this program.